2015 SEMA Spicer Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited - Dana Ultimate 44 Front Axle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So last year, Dana Spicer released their Ultimate 60 to compete against the growing number of aftermarket 60 axles out there and with good reason, a lot of people took keen interest in them due to its design, features and of course, price point. Well, at the 2015 SEMA Show, they released their all new Ultimate 44 only, unlike their 60 which really did have some nice bells and whistles, I can't say there's really all that different than a standard Rubicon 44. I mean sure, there are a few differences like in the axle tube thickness but aside from that, the differential housing looks pretty much the same as do the end forgings. Anyway, here are a few shots of one of the two Jeeps they had on display as well as the Ultimate 44 front axle.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Very interesting. I really would have liked to see them incorporate thicker end forgings to eliminate the need for C gussets. Otherwise, depending on the price point, they may still be a decent deal. I am assuming this would come with the standard Rubi locker and 4.10s as well?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The axle C's don't look much smaller than the ends on the Ultimate Dana 60, which is why I sold my new in crate UD60s and plan to get the PR60/PR80 combo.

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
What would really be nice is if these just started coming standard on all factory Rubicons...

If I'm going to upgrade my axles, I only want to do it once.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting. I really would have liked to see them incorporate thicker end forgings to eliminate the need for C gussets. Otherwise, depending on the price point, they may still be a decent deal. I am assuming this would come with the standard Rubi locker and 4.10s as well?

The axle C's don't look much smaller than the ends on the Ultimate Dana 60, which is why I sold my new in crate UD60s and plan to get the PR60/PR80 combo.

What's funny is that the engineers at Dana said that they've run the numbers and the end forgings, which are same as factory, are more than strong enough. They are sure they will not bend and that gusseting isn't needed. It should also be noted that while they are slightly thicker, the tubes on this axle is still only 2.5". Of course, you're still left with having to use a weak factory e-locker as well. Basically, this is just a J8 (Egyptian military) front axle, nothing more and from what I understand, they bend and have all the same issues that our factory Rubi axles have here in the U.S.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What would really be nice is if these just started coming standard on all factory Rubicons...

If I'm going to upgrade my axles, I only want to do it once.

With the exception of axle tube thickness, they already DO come standard on all factory Rubicons.

h2o_cruiser

Does anybody know what size tires those are on that Jeep? I think those STT Pros only go up to 37". But those look bigger than 37".

Top Bottom