2013 SEMA Show LIVE Coverage

StrizzyChris

Just get out a saw and your good to go. Same thing we do to keep LCG with larger tires now.

We would have to chop a lot of frame, relocate the engine, radiator, etc to get the A-Arms this inboard(like pic Greg posted below) to allow for the same 14" wheel travel that people are getting with a 4link system and solid axle.

Clearly there's a strong custom vehicle market for this axle, but I just don't see the application in a IFS wrangler. If your going to spend that much on an axle(other than bragging rights), a solid axle conversion would seem to be the easiest/cheapest way to go, without going into an all out custom build.

LittleRed

Any chance you could stop by the Expedition One booth? I'm hoping to see their new rocker guards and a core series rear bumper (which may or may not be aluminum)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Clearly there's a strong custom vehicle market for this axle, but I just don't see the application in a IFS wrangler. If your going to spend that much on an axle(other than bragging rights), a solid axle conversion would seem to be the easiest/cheapest way to go, without going into an all out custom build.

I disagree. If a PR60 cost 10k and the IRS cost 10k (which I bet it's cheaper) its way cheaper to do the IRS. With the SAS your going to need a shit load of new parts. Steering box, control arms, driveshaft, spring mounts and more.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've been in Vegas since Monday morning for work. I kept hoping that I was going to get a break and be able to head over and check I out. Alas, after two 17 hour days I need to head home.

This jeep at the Vegas rental car facility was as close as I got this year. :sigh:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383772780.295863.jpg

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
You need to start studying up on off road racing, because transaxles and center diff sections in multiple classes of baja racing and Ultra 4 Unlimited class racing (King of the Hammers) not only have vehicles that run 300-800(+) horsepower, but they also have as much as 28" of wheel travel and have a track width that is the same or not that much wider than my full width solid 1 ton axle JK.

Dynatrac IFS will work in any of these race cars that have two to three times the suspension travel of your Jeep

View attachment 55729

View attachment 55730

View attachment 55731

View attachment 55732

I think you missed the point. All I was saying was it is one thing to make a reliable IFS drivetrain setup in the rear of a sports car with a few inches of travel vs a Jeep front end with 10"+ of travel and that has to deal with steering much less the rigs you point out with much more extreme circumstances.

I didn't say it has never been done or is not possible, but looking at it from a commercially viable standpoint where companies have to look at costs vs liability exposure, it is going to be more difficult and limiting than the IFS setups in sports cars for both OEM's and aftermarket manufacturers such as Dynatrac. The physics dictate that as the driveline angles become more extreme, the more stress you are putting on the joints. And the geometry would have to be steeper because as opposed to the Baja/KOH style rigs there is not nearly the ability to setup such long A-arms in a factory street vehicle.

Now the Ford Raptors have gotten a pretty darn good setup and straight off the floor they ride great on the road and do very well in the bumps and have pretty decent articulation. But they do come at a price which is going to be difficult to justify for the run of the mill Jeep Wrangler that spends its life doing mall duty. Look at even the current Mustangs (I know the new model is going to IFS), costs dictate that they still utilize solid axle technology. All of this talk and rumors of a 2016 IFS Jeep over the past month or so I believe are just that for now. At this point of the design, Jeep would have long ago already locked in such an important design change. I could be completely wrong, but I would guess they are floating the idea out now to judge feedback and feasibility for the following Wrangler iteration that would bow sometime in the 2020's when CAFE standards dictate huge increases in fleet efficiency.

Munday

There are so many threads and pictures , I'm loving it . Any presence of the Poison Spider wide fenders that I have been hearing should be on the market soon ?

StrizzyChris

I disagree. If a PR60 cost 10k and the IRS cost 10k (which I bet it's cheaper) its way cheaper to do the IRS. With the SAS your going to need a shit load of new parts. Steering box, control arms, driveshaft, spring mounts and more.

I would like to see what the aftermarket would produce by way of brackets and conversion kits. But just to continue in my playing of devils advocate...to get that kind of wheel travel(that a solid axle and 4 link) system provides, you will be replacing the A-arms anyway that would be muh longer and inboard to accommodate that level of travel, new control arm brackets(just like in any high clearance long arm kit anyway), the steering box would be replaced (or at minimum be modified) to accommodate 40" tires that someone of this build level would be wheeling with, and depending on the setup the shock spring, or coilover mounts would need modifying as well just like a DTD or bolt on coilover kit. Again I am not disagreeing with you that it COULD be done to match the wheel travel of a solid axle JK...but the level of customization (I would think) required would have to eclipse that of what would be required in a solid axle conversion. But just as you stated, I couldn't imagine the a transaxle costing more than a D60 solid but IDK. Either way, options are always good for aftermarket competition and Im curious to see what happens with Jeep and the aftermarket response :yup:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Who makes those wheels, and how much backspacing to they have?

Hutchison Rock Monsters. They are sweet, but pretty heavy if it matters to you.

http://rockmonsterwheels.com/products.php?product=jeepjk

Hutchison works with the military a lot on different solutions for wheels on existing and test vehicles. Very tough, but it should be noted they are not a traditional beadlock. They have to be run with an internal beadlock, and they are a split rim design. Hope that helps!

Spartan

Hutchison Rock Monsters. They are sweet, but pretty heavy if it matters to you.

http://rockmonsterwheels.com/products.php?product=jeepjk

Hutchison works with the military a lot on different solutions for wheels on existing and test vehicles. Very tough, but it should be noted they are not a traditional beadlock. They have to be run with an internal beadlock, and they are a split rim design. Hope that helps!

Thanks, wish they where regular wheels. Not wanting beadlocks.

Top Bottom