2012 Jeep JKU Automatic Stalling and not going into gear

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
Need some help here, in the last week or two my jeep has died while at slow speeds.... i.e. backing into parking spot or garage or pulling out of the garage in the morning. First time was last week, I'd been out driving around town running errands and got back to work and put the jeep in reverse to back in my parking spot and it sputtered and died. No check engine lights, no bells or whistles or anything. I put it in park and started it back up, fired up no problems, put it in reverse and nothing happened, let my foot off the brake and I started rolling forward, then I felt it actually go into reverse after 5 or 6 seconds, I gave it a little gas to start backing in and it died again. Same thing happened 2 or 3 times but I was able to finally get it parked. I left for work later that day and got home and backed into the garage with no issues. A couple days later I got in to leave in the morning for work, started up no problems, put it in drive and nothing happened, after 5 or 6 seconds it went into gear and started idling out of the garage and it sputtered and died. It is now doing this almost daily where it is taking 5 or 6 seconds for it to actually go into gear, either reverse or drive and when it does this it sputters and dies.

I have been reading all kinds of things and one of the things I read was crank position sensor so I have already replaced that and it didn't make any difference. I'm starting to think maybe it is the torque converter or gear shift solenoid in the transmission.

I have 150K miles and the transmission was drained, new filter and fluids about 20K miles ago.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd make sure the trans fluid level is correct and if it is, pull the transmission pan and make sure the filter is seated properly
have you checked for error codes? could be a non-transmission related issue

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
I was debating doing transmission service again just to see if it helps. I have checked the fluid level and it is full and looks fine on the dip stick. There are no error codes registering.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I had a very similar issue with mine when I had it. It turned out to be the crank shaft position sensor. You can replace it yourself and save a lot of money.

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
Well I barely made it home from work today. Jeep died turning into a parking spot at grocery store. Then once I got home it does backing into the garage and once I started it back up and put it in reverse it acted like it was in neutral.

I talked to my local shop owner and he said it sounds like torque converter and I have an appointment to drop it off Monday morning.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Yeah there are two Cam shaft sensors and only one crankshaft sensor. If I was a betting man, I’d say the crankshaft sensor is the culprit all day. I screwed with my transmission a lot when it was happening to me and it wasn’t anything to do with the transmission.

Bierpower

Hooked
I already replace the crankshaft sensor and it did not help.
I've seen a whole lot of bad parts straight out of the box. Don't dismiss something simply because it was recently changed.

If you have a scanner or can access use of one it would be worth looking at that crank signal when it dies just to confirm.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I've seen a whole lot of bad parts straight out of the box. Don't dismiss something simply because it was recently changed.

If you have a scanner or can access use of one it would be worth looking at that crank signal when it dies just to confirm.
Agreed. I’d go as far as using a Mopar brand one also.

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
Heard back from the shop yesterday afternoon and it is the transmission, torque converter checks out ok, there is an active trouble code for output speed shaft and they say the transmission needs to be replaced.

Heard back from the shop yesterday afternoon and it is the transmission, torque converter checks out ok, there is an active trouble code for output speed shaft and they say the transmission needs to be replaced.
Damn at 150k? Seems low? Maybe not. Sorry to hear about this. Maybe worth a second opinion just because it’s a bigger price tag item?

Colorado4x4

Dang it. My 2016 JKU died the other day while shifting to reverse. How much are they quoting you for a transmission rebuild or replacement?

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
Dang it. My 2016 JKU died the other day while shifting to reverse. How much are they quoting you for a transmission rebuild or replacement?
They are doing a replacement from Jasper, the transmission itself is $4K, labor and additional odds and ends puts it around $6K.

Colorado4x4

They are doing a replacement from Jasper, the transmission itself is $4K, labor and additional odds and ends puts it around $6K.
Damn it! That sucks man. Did you try to pull codes with a code reader? I wish I could swap the newer JL transmission in my Jk when it dies

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
Damn it! That sucks man. Did you try to pull codes with a code reader? I wish I could swap the newer JL transmission in my Jk when it dies
I have JSCAN and it wasn't pulling the code they say is there but it might not go that in depth. There is actually a kit you can buy to swap the 8 speed into the JK. Check out Jeep Speed Shop. As much as I want to do it, this is my daily driver and need to get it back on the road ASAP so I don't have time for my local shop to source all the needed parts and figure out how to do it.

jeeeep

Hooked
isn't that a replaceable sensor that mounts onto the transmission?

do you have a programmer tune on it for tire size or anything else?

Jsouder53

Hooked
Dang, the transmission needs replacing?! Mine has been stalling out in reverse when cold for a few years now. It’s only got 100,000 miles on it. I’m going to try and live with it for a few more years till I can get the money saved for an LT1 lol it doesn’t get driven very much right now anyways.

Top Bottom