2005 TJ ?

JT@623

Hooked
I may have an opportunity to pick up an 05 TJ Rubi 80k on the miles manual trans it’s pretty clean I know the owner pretty well so maintenance has been done regularly not sure what the lift is maybe rubicon express (not a fan) brand new tires just installed this weekend overall a clean TJ so question to the group what’s it worth ?
thanks in advance 👍

JT@623

Hooked
I know the Jeep and the owner it’s been in AZ since new just curios what a fair price would be.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, TJ owners are in love with what they own and most tend to ask way too much for them. Granted, a lot of them are getting what they're asking. 80k on the odometer is essentially new. It should only be worth $8k at most but a fair price in today's market would be more like $12-$15k. What most people are asking is closer to $20k and to me, that's just absurd.

JT@623

Hooked
Unfortunately, TJ owners are in love with what they own and most tend to ask way too much for them. Granted, a lot of them are getting what they're asking. 80k on the odometer is essentially new. It should only be worth $8k at most but a fair price in today's market would be more like $12-$15k. What most people are asking is closer to $20k and to me, that's just absurd.
Thanks I know the owner pretty well he’s not one of those . I picked up a YJ from him several years ago my son is still driving. If I can get him between $8K - $10K I’ll probably buy it

Sgt_USMC

I agree with @wayoflife in that many of the TJs I see for sale are priced way too high. LJs are understandably priced high as they are hard to find, in stock form at least. I know now that I over paid for my 06 Rubicon in 2014 when I paid almost 20k from a dealership. That being said, I still love it. If you can get it for around what you are aiming for, I think it would be a good price.

The 05-06 does have a couple inherent problems to watch for though. The factory OPDA is prone to failing which can take out the motor and the PCM may fail causing it to throw codes for the 02 sensors no matter what is done to fix it. Several vendors sell the replacement that will prevent the OPDA problem, and finding a PCM isn’t too difficult.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks I know the owner pretty well he’s not one of those . I picked up a YJ from him several years ago my son is still driving. If I can get him between $8K - $10K I’ll probably buy it
Even at $10k or just above would be a good buy for how low miles it has.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with @wayoflife in that many of the TJs I see for sale are priced way too high. LJs are understandably priced high as they are hard to find, in stock form at least. I know now that I over paid for my 06 Rubicon in 2014 when I paid almost 20k from a dealership. That being said, I still love it. If you can get it for around what you are aiming for, I think it would be a good price.

The 05-06 does have a couple inherent problems to watch for though. The factory OPDA is prone to failing which can take out the motor and the PCM may fail causing it to throw codes for the 02 sensors no matter what is done to fix it. Several vendors sell the replacement that will prevent the OPDA problem, and finding a PCM isn’t too difficult.
You say you over paid but I bet you could still get close to that if you were to try and sell it today. At least, based on what I've seen.

Sgt_USMC

I was actually offered more then that a couple months ago. There was a guy at the gas station that said he’d give me $25k. Said he was with some dealership, but I didn’t care which one. I just thanked him and said no thanks. It’s paid off, I don’t want another car payment.

Sgt_USMC

Looks nice, is it a lifelong Az Jeep? If you take a pic of the lift I might be able to tell what brand it is. If you want to check the height measure the front coils. Anything over 12” is lift.

JT@623

Hooked
It’s the rubicon express long arm lift with rancho shocks , slip yoke eliminator had been done . He has all new heim joints for the arms . It’s bone stock under the hood interior is clean . I finally got a price from him at $13.5

onlyone

It’s the rubicon express long arm lift with rancho shocks , slip yoke eliminator had been done . He has all new heim joints for the arms . It’s bone stock under the hood interior is clean . I finally got a price from him at $13.5
A Rubicon doesn’t need a SYE kit. Just a new driveshaft with a lift. Only the regular TJ and YJ used them. Are you sure it’s a Rubicon?

JT@623

Hooked
A Rubicon doesn’t need a SYE kit. Just a new driveshaft with a lift. Only the regular TJ and YJ used them. Are you sure it’s a Rubicon?
Yes I’m sure it’s a rubicon I’ve known the owner and the Jeep for 15 years . My bad I thought all TJs had the slip yoke in the T case this one does not and has the the rear locker ,

onlyone

Yes I’m sure it’s a rubicon I’ve known the owner and the Jeep for 15 years . My bad I thought all TJs had the slip yoke in the T case this one does not and has the the rear locker ,
Ok cool. He probably just replaced the driveshaft. For these days it sounds like a great deal then! Looks to be in good shape. That’s really low miles. Great little Jeeps.

Top Bottom