Inflation? What Inflation - LOL

Guess I’ll buck the trend and readily admit that I don’t think the Constitution should be viewed as a document that was perfect as written, that it should never be amended under any circumstance, or that it should not be viewed (at least somewhat) through the lens of its application to what the country currently looks like versus what it looked like in 1788.

As a father of a daughter, I’m quite glad that someone figured out women are not chattel and that their votes and voices have value.
It may not have been perfect but it was genius. The sole purpose was to restrain government power over people’s lives. That it’s become a bastardized version of itself speaks to its imperfection but also the tendency of people to suffer a long string of abuse.

To differentiate them for one thing. The purpose originally was to have the senate represent the state government. The congress is supposed to be closest to the people and direct elected by the people.

Exactly. Well stated Sir.
Representatives are the advocates for the citizens of the State and Senators are advocates for the States themselves.

It’s a subtle but important distinction.

It may not have been perfect but it was genius. The sole purpose was to restrain government power over people’s lives. That it’s become a bastardized version of itself speaks to its imperfection but also the tendency of people to suffer a long string of abuse.

It’s important to realize much of our oppression comes from the majority.

As I said my understanding. I am admitting this is what I’ve heard from others though it is not an area I have studied lately.
The federal government survived just fine on tariffs for many years. How about we stuff DC back in its lane and stop their stealing. One great way to do that is a return to only tariffs. Yes companies don’t pay taxes people do but that also creates an avenue for a local company to produce the same cheaper. Not a perfect solution but beats the heck out of what we have now.
If we were to return to tariffs only, then it would be difficult to find enough money to give away.

To differentiate them for one thing. The purpose originally was to have the senate represent the state government. The congress is supposed to be closest to the people and direct elected by the people.
Yes. When that changed, the states lost part of their power to stand against the Feds.

Another way the Feds leverage states is through federal subsidies. Money from the Feds always has strings attached. For example, the Feds don’t have the power to set speed limits. However, the Feds were able to impose a 55mph National speed limit by writing into the law that federal monies would be withheld from states that didn’t comply.

Last edited:
So why shouldn’t the Senate?
Because Senators no longer represent the state governments. Power was taken away from the states and given to the Feds. It’s part of what allowed the Feds to open the border between Texas and Mexico and tell Texas they may not do anything about it.

Yes. Yes, it is. That’s why our nation was formed as a republic.
Yes all this talk about democracy is more than maddening. If you learned we live in a democracy in school you need to go back to that school and demand your money back. We were founded as a democratically elected REPUBLIC.

Top Bottom