Wrangler windshield wiper woes

Hey folks, this feels weird to ask about but I’m struggling to be happy with how my wipers perform. Any other car I’ve owned I’ve been able to get great performance by buying quality wipers, and doing an occasional RainX treatment. Not my wrangler! What gives?

In the last year I’ve replaced my wipers twice, both times I bought Bosch Icon. On my previous car (Suby Outback XT) they worked great. The first pair I thought maybe I got a bad pair, but after the second had no improvement I thought maybe the problem was something in the glass itself.

Luckily I got a crack and asked the insurance company for a new piece of glass… but still wipers perform miserably! The Icons are a few months old but nowhere ready for replacement… So I hit it with Adam’s Glass Sealant and knew I would be free from rain problems.

Except it’s not. The smallest amount of rain makes the windshield miserable to see out of! It Streaks everywhere, and washer fluid is miserable to use.

So maybe I’m a noob? What gives? Is this a Jeep thing I don’t understand? Help my wayalife, you’re my only hope. 🙏

I used to use Rain X spray on my previous vehicle but stopped once I got a wrangler after I noticed that it caused smearing. Since then, I’ve just been getting good quality blades and glass cleaner and all has been good since.

also, I replace them every 6 months as well.

Upvote 0
I used to use Rain X spray on my previous vehicle but stopped once I got a wrangler after I noticed that it caused smearing. Since then, I’ve just been getting good quality blades and glass cleaner and all has been good since.

also, I replace them every 6 months as well.
Good to know about your experience with RainX. Do you buy any particular brand or style of wipers?

Upvote 0
I have been using Piaa Si- Tech blades for years and am very happy with them. There is a silicon application required to the windshield. Super simple it lasts for up to eight months in my case.

Upvote 0
Drove in the rain this morning and it sucked. Every Jeep I’ve had had that same weird film no matter how clean. Really odd but I feel like when you drive a Jeep long enough you just get used to it.

Upvote 0
I have been using Piaa Si- Tech blades for years and am very happy with them. There is a silicon application required to the windshield. Super simple it lasts for up to eight months in my case.
Interesting. Years back it seemed like every windshield wiper came with a "wipe" that they wanted you to use before installing them.

The Silicon application you're using goes on the windshield, like a RainX or something? I've been eyeing a better product than RainX -- which when I read the instructions again last month surprised me by suggestion it get re-applied after only 300mi. Adams makes something they call Graphene Ceramic Glass coating -- that sounds like marketing mumbojumbo to me but I'm no chemist.

Upvote 0
I applied Rain-X once, but use the orange Rain-X windshield wiper fluid as well. I make sure to fill the reservoir before taking the Jeep for any kind of service in order to avoid the problem with "free" crappy washer fluid added. Have only used Mopar blades.

No problems at all.

Upvote 0
Drove in the rain this morning and it sucked. Every Jeep I’ve had had that same weird film no matter how clean. Really odd but I feel like when you drive a Jeep long enough you just get used to it.
This weird film on mine looked like flowers or some advertising shit. I used commercial windshield products, and nothing took it off.
Ended up using Dawn Powerwash, really fine steel wool (windshield was cracked, if I scratched it up no loss) then clay bar.
Got all the shit off and windshield was clean AF

Upvote 0
This weird film on mine looked like flowers or some advertising shit. I used commercial windshield products, and nothing took it off.
Ended up using Dawn Powerwash, really fine steel wool (windshield was cracked, if I scratched it up no loss) then clay bar.
Got all the shit off and windshield was clean AF
The clay bar is a good idea. I normally soap the windshield up and use a razor blade scrapper. Then finish with some Sprayway glass cleaner. For the exterior only a 50/50 mix of white vinegar/water smells like shit but it's the best glass cleaner ever and dirt cheap.

Upvote 0
I applied Rain-X once, but use the orange Rain-X windshield wiper fluid as well. I make sure to fill the reservoir before taking the Jeep for any kind of service in order to avoid the problem with "free" crappy washer fluid added. Have only used Mopar blades.

No problems at all.
Wow this is great. Years ago I swore by the orange stuff but somewhere along the way I completely forgot about it. Great reminder, thank you.

This is also the second mention of Mopar stock blades, and I think that means I’m going to try them next!

Do you buy from a dealership or order them online from somewhere?

Upvote 0
I just had the dealership install them. I don't know if they are "performance" wipers, and expect they are identical to what came on the Jeep.
Well were they $35 or closer to $125? That’s how you’ll know if they’re the Performance wipers or not.
One is just replacement blades, the other is a system.👍

Upvote 0
I get the cheapies at Discount Tire, usually at the start of winter and the start of spring. For me, the fancy expensive wipers don't work any better than the cheap, plain wipers.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom